Monday, August 14, 2006

"Dearest Anderson, how I pine for thee . . . "


I have had a crush on Anderson Cooper since the late nineties early naughty aughties. During my lack of sleep stupor he would always read me the news at 3am on ABC World News Now. What drew me to him? Was it the beady eyes or the salt and pepper hair? Was it the accordion player? Was I confusing love with a need for companionship while I wasted away an early morning hour gazing at the tube? I would have to say none of the above. Anderson Cooper is hilarious, smart, and although has taken great criticism for this recently, very debonair and stylish. Yes, I know that he wore Armani down in New Orleans during his coverage of Katrina. He’s frickin’ Gloria Vanderbilt’s son for Mother Jonah’s sake! Yes, I know that while he was down there he started crying during his report and that people feel that “real” journalists simply cannot allow themselves to display such moments of weakness. But, really wouldn’t you rather watch someone who has really emotions and isn’t just a puppet for a news network?

Here is a snippet of Anderson at his best: Regarding his appearance on Celebrity Jeopardy:
"It was called the Power Players edition, though I'm not sure why I was in it because I'm neither a "playa" nor a person of power. The experience really made me realize how much of a loser I am, because of how much I got into it.” I love how he uses the word playa and that he admits to getting obsessed with being on Jeopardy. I love the self-deprecation. I am a sucker for it.

What has most recently contributed to my unending fascination with Mr. Cooper is his itunes celebrity playlist. Yo La Tengo! The Clash! Pavement! Elliot Smith! Blur! Curtis Mayfield! Are you kidding me? Did you read my mind while I was watching you during an impressionable post teen period of my life? He says the following about Pavement, “Some bands get a bit full of themselves, thinking they are poets rather than rock stars . . . Pavement were poets who were convinced they were rock stars.” This is a genius statement from someone I will continue to watch until I get glaucoma, and even then I will use my Medicare funds for some new eyeballs or steal a set from Gertrude, my arch nemesis at the retirement home.

6 Comments:

Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Yes, but were you a fan of Anderson Cooper before his serious journalistic days, back when he was host of "The Mole"? That's the AC that is burned on my brain. Its hard to take him seriously when each time you see him interview somebody you expect him to say, "You voted wrong this evening and have been eliminated."

7:03 AM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I think you like him because he has those pensive, 'I'm not going to look directly at the camera' photos.

6:34 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- I've been a connoisseur of AC since I was a wee lass back in the old country. Actually, the first time I saw him he was a journalist even though one time he told his co-anchor to "talk to the hand". This was right before "The Mole".

Dr. Ken- I heart people who think. Thinking is good. I believe his modeling training is in full effect during those shots. Also, he just might melt your heart if he looked directly at you, thereby losing crucial audience members . . . not a good strategy.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I majorly HEART Mr. Cooper. Blue eyes and gray hair, what a lovely combination. He’s dreamy!

5:13 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Mo- Now who wouldn't HEART AC? He's right in your age range too. ; )

Pappdaddy-Thanks for stopping by, you slacker! Ha! Who isn't a sucker for salt and pepper hair or salt n' pepa. They're here and they're in full effect.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, but-- does anyone know why Cooper said "Talk to the hand" to his co-anchor? Was he actually on the outs with her, or were they just joking around, anchorpeople-style?

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home