Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Voluntary Sabbatical . . .Was Fanatical!

Now that I am officially halfway through week two of my job, I believe I must face the truth that my voluntary sabbatical is over. It was only for two weeks, but geesh it was good times and shall be missed. Here is my list of the top things I will shed a single tear for now that I am back to the daily grind:

1) Listening to my Itunes library pretty much 24/7. My work computer and its speakers are not conducive to such
activities. My computer is straight out of 1995 & the network is not Mac compliant. Blows.
2) Downloading music during a significant portion of my day. Can’t really do that anymore on the computer that takes up
half a room.
3) Riding my bike everyday. Not very professional to come to work everyday a sweaty mess, so I must opt for riding my
bike only a few days a week.
4) Dancing outside at 3pm or at 2am. They say a well-rested employee is a good employee. I say who needs sleep when
you have Diet Coke & Lemonheads!
5) Carrying around a sweat towel (see #2 & #3, respectively). The sweat towel came into to good use, especially when
used in a swinging motion above my head over a crowd of people.
6) Not setting an alarm clock. I hate the buzzer on mine. The clock is from 1973 so there are no other options except
maybe for that McDonald’s wake up call.
7) Daily wear of a wife beater. Damn, they sure are getting creative with those things. Lots of embellishments and
bedazzlements, doesn’t make me want to beat my wife at all when I wear one. Makes me feel fancy.











8) Casual Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday. Flip-flops? Don’t mind if I do.
9) Weeknight sleepovers with my nieces. Oh, kids just say the darndest things! Like requesting that someone pass a law
that requires everyone to dance their pants off!
10) Watching afternoon White Sox games. Nothing like an afternoon fix of the South Side Hit Men. Winning Ugly indeed.
11) Swallowing a hornet. Now, while this doesn’t sound like too much fun, it makes for a great story. Anaphylactic shock? Maybe.
Missing a concert? Never.
12) Passions clips. Now that show is really screwed up. I can’t watch a whole episode, but the segments I’ve seen recently
include multiple boughts of amnesia, fake engagements, a shirts and skins softball game
(the men were skins, of course), and amnesia murder. I was even told that there was an episode recently where a girl
was thrown into the water and turned into a mermaid. When she was pulled out of the water she had a fin which looked
like someone had just gone to the clearance table at the fabric store and made a clingy, shiny, blue sparkly sack for her
to wear (thanks BFF for that one). Too bad that the midget that played the doll that was turned into a little boy by the
witch died in real life. If he was still around, I would TIVO that show everyday just to see his “My Buddy” face and
overalls.


Thanks Passions for raising your glasses to the end of my early retirement! Cheers!

8 Comments:

Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

You know, you don't have to give up the sweat towel just because you've started a new job. Just prop it over your shoulders, or on the days you wear pants or a skirt, tuck it into the waist just like football players do.

10:57 AM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

PS - Are you kidding about the "the midget that played the doll that was turned into little boy by the witch"? That was really on a soap opera? I think I need to start Tivoing this as well.

And yes, that is my second comment. SNAP!

11:09 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Pappdaddy-Passions is one of the biggest guilty pleasures out there. If I have some free time around 2pm you KNOW that NBC will be on my dial.

Cherry-I totally did the shoulder prop with my towel these past weeks! Even though I only wear culottes (or skorts) to work, I think your technique for the sweat towel may still work.

As for the Passions question, yes, there really was a doll that turned into a boy! Sad that he's not on anymore, being dead and all, but I think that there is a baby witch on there now. A REAL baby that is a witch!

Two comments!! I feel honored. No diggity.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

That kid DOES look like the My Buddy toy. Is there a Teddy Ruxbin character too?

11:24 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Dr. Ken- Pardon me, but when he was alive he liked to be called a little person. Show the dead some respect.

I think that you may be on to something with Teddy Ruxpin. Maybe the baby witch will cast a spell on her toy bear and they will wreak havoc together. One potential scheme, causing the mermaid to drown.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god..how cool!! I love you, Classy!!!! I just have to say you are briliant! Your thoughts are fantastic. Will def continue reading..

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS..have been totally engrosed in old 'Beloved' stuff..Satelitte, Sweet Harmony, Time After Time, Deliver Me..good sountrack for a full on day..calming and hyping at the same time.

5:24 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Rich- Thanks so much for the positive words! I am glad that you like my little world here.

P.S."Sweet Harmony" is definitely a key track. Will have to look into Beloved's entire catalogue as well for I am in definite need of some work appropriate tunes. Sometimes the shoegazy distortion coming from my speakers creates looks of panic on my co-workers' faces.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home