Sunday, September 03, 2006

"Will The Real Classy Please Stand Up?"

As some of you may have surmised, Ms. Classy isn't what one would call a girly girl. Sure, I like being a lady, but you won't see me posting about flowers, horses, or my favorite new perfume and/or feminine hygiene product. I leave that to the experts. I may throw a post in here or there about unicorns or pandas, but most likely it will involve these creatures getting into a fight at a demolition derby because one threw a tasty beverage at the other, or the scuffle ensued to prove once and for all which one is more of a bad ass (My odds are on the panda, but I'm biased).

So, answer me this . . . why have I recently reverted to having girl-like tendencies?

For example, last weekend on the Oh! network they were playing what seemed like a continuous loop of the movie Two Weeks Notice.



Now, this movie is really a piece of crap and stars Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant in a typical love/hate relationship movie that ends in love. I know that it is utterly bunk, but I still watched some of it and get this, almost started weeping at the end when Hugh Grant goes into the legal aid office that Ms. Bullock (who kind of looks like a character from the Dark Crystal) works and reads a speech in which he professes his desire to do her up against the wall. Really, what is wrong with me?

Then, when I went out later that evening a singer was doing this Wizard of Oz montage and started singing "If I Only Had A Brain". People, have you heard this song and actually listened to the lyrics? The singer crooned in a serious tone the following, "I'd unravel any riddle for any individd-el in trouble or in pain . . . I would not be just a nothin'. My head all full of stuffin'. My heart all full of pain. Perhaps I deserve you and be even worthy erve you if I only had a brain . . ." Man, this song is depressing as all get out. I never knew it until that night, and again, I felt the weeps coming on. Okay, seriously, I wanted to hang myself like the Wizard of Oz crew guy you have to slow-mo in order to see.

To top off my weekend I decided to catch some of the Primetime Emmys hosted by my boy Conan O'Brien hoping that he would take me out of my doldrums. While there were some funny bits, like Bob Hope*** being trapped in a container with only three hours of air, they had to go and ruin my emotional upswing by having an American Bandstand tribute. Dick Clark, who had a stroke recently, was at the podium sitting down in a wheelchair like mechanism and thanked everyone for the tribute. He is not the Dick Clark that everyone remembers, no siree Bob. He is a Dick Clark that our grandparents become right before they enter the great bandstand in the sky.

So, I told myself, "C’mon Classy, get it together and snap out of it! Listen to some Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam and get over yourself! Fire up the Madonna’s "Into the Groove", proceed with Stacey Q’s "Two of Hearts", eat some sprees, drink some Jolt Cola and take it up a notch! Follow up "Two of Hearts" with . . . And you will know us by the Trail of Dead’s "A Perfect Teenhood" and start kicking ass and taking names!"

And so it is written and so it is done . . .

***I stand corrected. Cherry has brought it to my attention that it was indeed Bob Newhart, not Hope, that was in the bubble. My apologies to the Queen Mother.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, that nail her up against the wall doesn't sound like it would get the waterworks going. Who knew? Classy's befuddlement concerning her own crying makes me think of Jerry on Seinfeld when he's like, "What's this salty discharge?"

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've gotten over this girlie fever because almost crying during "Two Weeks Notice" would be embarassing - even for me.

Pandas kick ass and I'm going as one for Halloween.

Finally, it was Bob Newhart. Bob Hope might not have been as funny, since he's dead. Then again, maybe putting his carcass in that glass closet would have been funnier.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG - she really does look like one of those "Dark Crystal" puppets.

Proper!

9:24 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Dr. Ken-Hugh Grant's public acknowledgement of his feelings would make any gal swoon, but I do believe I took it up a notch by somehow believing he was talking to me. Um . . . yeah, I wasn't even drunk at the time so I have no excuse for my behavior whatsoever.

Choice Seinfeld reference! "This is horrible! I care!"

Cherry-Thanks for the correction . . . and you're my fact-checkin' cuz.

You as a panda for Halloween? Please promise me that you will wear an aerobics outfit.

And yes, I am completely ashamed by the whole Two Weeks Notice debacle. Even more so now that I know that even you find my reaction ridiculous. Major cool points lost, Classy. Major. cool. points. lost.

Lastly, I am pleased that you agree that Ms.Bullock is a Gelfing incarnate. Freaky. But, it does make me want to see that movie again. I think this time around it will either make more sense or seem like even more of an acid trip. Either way is fine by me!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't planning on wearing an aerobics uniform along with it - i think my panda is naked - but should I reconsider?

11:51 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

A naked panda! My word! Although any panda is delightful, here is my original inspiration for all the goodness that pandas behold (although this is not a complete aerobics getup):

http://www.namcoarcade.com/
tekken4/profile_kuma.asp

Scroll down to the Panda character and start accessorizing! I would also suggest adding a mesh muscle tee & track shorts.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap WTF is that site???

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classy, you may have an unhealthy panda fixation. Which is a good thing where I come from.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classy, I thought we agreed to share Hugh. Don't be hogging Hugh's pretend love all for yourself. Selfish . . .

11:01 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- That site proves that I am a super nerd. Tekken is actually an arcade game that at one point was all the rage (at least I think it was in the 12-18yr old boy demographic). I happened upon the panda character one day while waiting for a movie to start at the theater. Arcade games are not my forte, with the exception of racing games & skee ball, but for some reason that day I pressed the secret combo to unveil the panda character & boy did she kick some major ass!

Dr. Ken- We should all know by now that Classy has many unhealthy fixations! Old Style, Old People, Monkeys, SoCo, Morrissey, the Bedazzler, Hot Stuff Chips, Richard 'Data' Wang, etc., etc., etc. I'm not even going to mention the 7,000 panda z pics I have in my iPhoto library (wait . . . I just did).

Mo- You are just jealous that you didn't cry! Okay, I'll let you have Hugh's imaginary longings T-TH-SAT & I'll have him on M-T-W. We'll split Sundays because he'll need to see you sober at least one time a week. See how considerate I am!

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Bedazzler - I love the Bedazzler!!!

Classy: we now share at least two things in common - our love of the Bedazzler and the word "ointment."

12:58 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- I think we have more than two things in common, to list a few more:

panda love, propensity for bad music, dunkin donuts, killer fashion sense, totally hearting Rich

. . . maybe we were separated at birth?

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite possibly, yes. Perhaps you got the good looks in the family, then?

11:18 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- Ha Ha! You are quite a handsome fella, so if I got the looks in the family I must be smokin' hot, as in hotter than Linda Evangelista. Too bad I am a midget & I only like to wear snow pants, moon boots, and freaky freezes.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a midget too. Midgets rule!

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my vote is on the pandas. they are

BAD ASS

5:58 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- See, we are TOTALLY related! We are like the Monchhichis.

Kirsten- Thanks for stopping by again! How did I know that you would pick pandas? They RULE! Especially when you set up little scenes with them around unsuspecting company.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just browsing off the Cherry Ride and found you.

I think I'm in the 12-18 boy demographic too... although I preferred Kuma to the Panda at Tekken. (Geek alert).

I think sometimes a tomboy just has genetically uncontrollable girly-girl like tendancies that because they are so regularly supressed have to come out. That's my theory anyways. Two weeks notice just happened to be on on your day. Could have just as easily been Lethal Weapon... it's pretty tough when his woman dies.

3:54 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Darci- Thanks for checking me out and for easing my worries about my recent hyper-estrogen freak out. The tomboy correlation does make sense. That day I probably would have cried during Lethal Weapon. Hell, if given the chance, I would have cried while watching "Two and a Half Men".

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just second Cherry's "OMG"! She really does look like a gelfling.

Yes, I know "gelfling" - without nary a search engines help - I think I qualify for geek status too.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home