Thursday, October 12, 2006

Just Like Heaven . . .



Walking through the Vietnamese area of town the other day to pick up lunch, I became surrounded with some sweet sounds that seemed to be following me and getting louder as I came closer to my destination. At first, I thought, or rather I wished, that it was some roller disco crew skating down the busy street in their full out regalia, boom box and all, but no, it was something better.





What was blaring the tunes was a middle aged man jamming some Jeffrey Osborne, James Ingram, or Billy Ocean while he plowed down the sidewalk on his rascal scooter (And when I say plowed down, he had that baby on full tilt. People moved out of his way as if he was going to murder them). I wasn’t sure what song he was blasting, this has been bothering me for the past few days, but I think I was so in awe of the man and his ways that for an instant I couldn’t focus on the music and with my jaw dropped I had to stare.

I thought to myself, is this really happening? Am I in heaven where people can cart their lazy asses around on motorized scooters and inundate people with the auditory selection of their choice? Where can I pick up one of these scooters? Will heaven grant me the chance to play Salt-N-Pepa’s “Supersonic” on 11 while I travel around in the open air at 15 miles per hour?

All I wanted to accomplish that day was to pick up a fantastically delightful Vietnamese sandwich for lunch, but straight up street entertainment/fantasy was in the stars for me. I wonder what will become of Mr. Rascal Jammer when winter arrives? Will I have to wait until the first thaw to hear some sweet lite FM soul pass me by on the sidewalk? I can only hope that I don’t have to wait that long!

Do you think it is inappropriate if the next time I see him I ask for a ride?

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's totally okay to ask for a ride, especially if the song playing is Get Out of My Dreams (Get Onto My Rascal).

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely OK to ask. And extra points if you sang "Baby Stay With Me Tonite."

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that you didn't ask him for a ride the first time around!

And do those things really go 15? Sweet. Good thing Xmas is just around the corner.

4:21 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Dr. Ken- I think I would have dry humped him if he was playing that awesome Billy Ocean tune.

Cherry- Frankly, I am disappointed with myself. But, I am holding out for the day when he will have a side car just for me and I can play "Baby, Come To Me" and rock out in my WWII leather helmet.

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need to get yourself a Rascal, then you can race each other down the street, blasting out the tunes!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap - "Get Out of My Dreams" "Baby Stay with Me Tonite" and "Baby Come to Me" -- I feel an awesome playlist coming on...

8:13 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Matt- I like your style. I could even get one custom painted with flames on the sides!

Cherry- If "Caribbean Queen (No More Love on the Run)" and "On the Wings of Love" are added I foresee a lot of candle lit nights in our future . . .

2:06 PM  
Blogger darci ann said...

i will send you a $5 bill if you get a ride with photographic evidence. :-)

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need Baby Stay With Me Tonight at the Halloween party. We will all gance the night away . . .

1:13 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Darci- With $5 I could buy two Vietnamese sanwiches! One for myself and one for that hunk of a man on the rascal.

Dr. Ken- Have to get crackin' on that playlist. Now, Cherry and you can gance the night away, but wouldn't I technically lance the night away? Or, would we be glancing?

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By definition I can't Gance - only a breeder like Dr. Ken can do that. And Classy, I think it woudl be lancing for you.

Are we all going to the same Halloween party?? God, I hope so. I am soo buying the two of you shots.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - I will see Darci's $5 and raise it to $10 for photographic evidence.

4:27 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

What would the term be for Cherry, then? Dr. Ken, help me out!

Yes! We are going to be at the same party and it is going to rule the world. I think I might just lose my mind like I did at the Moo and Oink.

And, $15 total!! That place has a deal where you buy 5 get 1 free. I need to find more crazies with rascals!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Cherry? I guess the term might be . . . prancing??? I'll have to get back to you on that term.

P.S. I fell asleep just now to Jane's Addiction, and alphabetically, Jeffrey Osbourne's Baby Stay With Me Tonight was followed Jermaine Stewart's We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off (To Have a Good Time) came back-to-back!

6:36 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Dr. Ken: If Jordy's "Dur Dur D'Être Bébé" came up next in your queue it would have been the ultimate listening treat!

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home