Monday, September 11, 2006

"Why I want to be a Grandma Right Now . . . without the whole having kids and raising them part."


Recently, I was hanging with some of my lovely lady friends in Mid-Missouri (Mid-MO for those in the know) for a wedding shower/ bachelorette party extravaganza.


I will spare you the gory details of the weekend outing, but all I can say is that pandas really like it when girls wear fancy “Dancing with the Stars” get ups around them and there is NOTHING wrong with getting up on a platform to dance on multiple occasions especially when Snap’s! “I Got the Power” begins spinning its wicked auditory web.








I would like to focus instead on the pure genius of being a grandma. When one is elderly it all of a sudden becomes acceptable to say whatever is going on in one's aged mind, even if it makes no sense whatsoever. Now, how great would that be? You can say stuff like, “My hair hurts” or “I liked you better when you were skinnier” or “All she needs is a good rogering” and all people can do around you is nod and smile and later shrug their shoulders and say, “Oh, that’s just grandma, she grew up during the Depression, so give her some slack!” Really, I say crazy things all of the time and I don’t seem to be forgiven quite so easily. Instead, people just tell me to shut up or tune me out or have the decency to give me the whole rolling eyes in the back of the head salute.

While in Missouri I had the pleasure to be around a grandma who was spot on hilarious right out of the gate. This particular grandma had a penchant for margaritas and for having no filter. What a lovely combination, no? Case in point, she told us a story about how someone accidentally packed a coconut bra in her 90+-year-old sister’s suitcase. Grandma then proceeded to do a rendition of how her sister was absolutely confused about the usage of said bra and couldn’t understand why in the world it was in her suitcase, as she had no need for such an apparatus. Grandma suggested that one of us wear the bra out to the bars if we really wanted to snag some men. We opted to wear a tad bit more coverage. The following day when Grandma noticed that there were no men accompanying us at breakfast, she told us that she should have gone out with us to help with the men wrangling. I bet she would have partied like nobody’s business.

Keep in mind we were around Grandma for a total of one day tops and she packed in the laughs like they were going out of style. She warned us about how naps can make you put on someone else’s pants (scandalous!). When she takes naps she sometimes gets confused about what time it is when she wakes up (happens to the best of us, right?). Well, one time she woke up from a nap at 6pm and thought it was 6am, hustled to the shower, got dressed, and took her hormone shot (now that doesn’t happen to all of us, or does it?). She then received a phone call from her daughter asking her if she was ready for dinner, and at around the same time realized that her pants were way too tight on her. She had mistakenly put on her other daughter’s pants that were four sizes too small! She was busting them at the seams. If I was in a similar situation people would opt for the whole, “Classy is being a drunk moron again” phrase and would then point and laugh at me for wearing shoes on the wrong feet and dancing in them for 15 minutes (which did happen, folks). But, in Grandma’s case, the situation was explained by, “She’s old.” Why can’t I have that excuse?

14 Comments:

Blogger Loaf said...

Oh to be old and no longer bound by political correctness or sanity :)

Can't wait until I'm old enough for people to forgive my mindless ranting.

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to meet this Grandma as we have a lot in common -- I love hormone shots and wearing other people's pants!

Classy: Is that your green monster with coconut bra drawing? Sweet.

8:52 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Matt- Thanks for checking me out! On to your points, agreed and agreed. Also, I can't wait for all elastic/poly all the time wear and blue blockers!

Cherry- Grandma was the bomb! Funny, she did remind me a bit of you, especially when she wore her lime green pants suit outfit! And alas, no, that is not my drawing. I am not nearly as talented as the artiste who fashioned that masterpiece. My skills lie in decoupage and pinata making arena.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Ridic! said...

I also can't wait for the time in life when I get to wake up, have my orange juice and vodka, watch the Price is Right (though Bob will most likely have passed)and sit around on my lazy ass knitting with all my cats on my lap.

12:21 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Jader- Thanks for stopping by!

Drinking with Bob Barker in the morning is a dream come true. I LOVE how the Price is Right has not changed in like 100 years! The set, the games-Plinko, Cliff Hangers aka the Yodeler, and that big ass wheel! It is Hollywood Gold!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget about shitting yourself. There are more perks than I thought!

4:46 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Dr. Ken- Hmm . . . I'm not sure that that is a perk of being old in my book. Throwing shit at people, now that's another story!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you planning to see this Grandma anytime again? If so, I WANT that lime green pant suit, understand?

And re: your coomet back to Matt, you don't have to be old to wear those blue blockers - I have a pair and I bring them with me to parties.

8:23 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- When Grandma comes in town for the wedding in October I will make sure she brings the outfit with her. Although she loves the ensemble, I think she can be persuaded to part with it, especially if we promise to bring her to Madrigals.

I have some choice b&w photo booth pics where I am wearing a stranger's blue blockers. I guess I really don't have to wait to sport those!

Are yours real genuine blue blockers that you purchased off the television? If so, do you now receive the Fingerhut & Lillian Vernon catalogues?

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could just start hanging out with old awesome Grandma's.. then there'd be no judgment from your young, whipper snapper friends and you'd fit right in. plus, at those assisted living places someone would cook your meals, give you bath, organize your favorite card games. where do i sign up.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, I don't receive the Fingerhut catalogues (I don't know what it is, but I giggle any time I hear the word "Fingerhut") I acquired mine from a laser eye surgery clinic.

11:06 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Darci- Now, if I can only get Grandma to move from Missouri! I may have the hookup for an assisted living arrangement. My monkey post from a few weeks ago was inspired by a visit to a retirement home where my friend works. Let me know if you would like to retire early in Chicago!

C"hs"R- Fingerhut, Fingerhut, Fingerhut!! Does this mean that you actually receive the Lillian Vernon catalogue? I may need to order a rock shaped key holder or this:

http://gourl.org/ai9

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad. Not bad at all. But I prefer these:
http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=6939&name=%22Diamond%22-Trimmed+Terry+Flip-Flops&parentCatId=1029&catId=781

9:36 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Just in case the other readers cannot see the wonder that is Cherry's latest purchase (mentioned above):

http://gourl.org/aji

You gots to pamper yourself! Princess! Proper!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home