Monday, September 18, 2006

The Extent of My Medical Career



Is it sad that I look forward to eating at a hospital cafeteria? It reminds me of being back at my high school cafeteria where there were really no healthy options, so you had no choice but to have chicken fingers topped with gravy and a side of fries. In my high school there was a Senior Cafeteria that I would frequent for two main reasons:



1) There was a juke box in there where I could play a continuous loop of A-Ha’s “Take On Me”.


2) I could get a cheese sandwich there, which was really the only vegetarian eating option besides pizza and fries. Oh, Kaiser roll, your doughy goodness is bothe practical and delicious!!

Besides fond memories of food and music (and really what else is there in life for me?), I am drawn to the hospital cafeteria for the following reasons:

1) I find comfort in the fact that I see doctors and nurses eat massive amounts of
fried foods. It makes me feel as if these things may be good for me if I just
keep eating them like the professionals.

2) I can gaze at the wonder that is red jello! How I wish I could eat it for it looks so surreal, retro, and remarkable!


3) I am thoroughly amazed at how freakin’ cheap the establishment is! I can buy a grilled cheese, mashed potatoes, corn,and a Diet Coke for around $3! McDonald’s try to top that!

As I chowed down on my meal today while listening to medical banter, I wondered why I didn’t become a doctor. No, wait, I think it’s the blood, unflattering scrubs, and those puffy hair caps/nets,and shoe covers, although it would make it easier to get ready in the morning.

And, oh yes, the seven years of school! No offense to my dear friends in the medical field. Medicine, it’s just not my style . . . unless it involves getting roofied.

10 Comments:

Blogger Loaf said...

I really shouldn't have read this before the food van arrives, now I'm going to sit for the next hour with a craving for grilled cheese.

Haven't had jello for years! I envy your cafeteria!!

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad calls jello "nervous" instead of "jello." It certainly quivers.

I toured a gelatin plant once. It was gross. Horse hooves and what not. Yuck!

5:08 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Matt- I am sorry to contribute to your hunger pains! But, I think you should be craving grilled cheese all the time even without my help!

Sarah- I think I may need to coin Dad's phrase for jello especially after your description of the factory that creates it. Grody to the max!

Dr. Ken- Now, don't give me any ideas. But, come to think of it I have eaten a lot of bagged spinach recently . . .

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn my nerdy-ness! I didn’t get to partake in the joys of the senior café because I didn’t take a lunch senior year. Why didn’t you guys tell me about Ah-ha? I most certainly would have given up AP Physics to listen to Ah-ha on a daily basis not to mention the number of cholesterol points I could have racked up eating the culinary delights good ol’ DGS supplied for vegetarians. That’s if you consider all combinations for cheese and carbohydrates culinary delights.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alcohol.
You forgot alcohol.
("Besides fond memories of food and music [and really what else is there in life for me?]")

10:59 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Mo- You should have taken some tips from the Classy playbook senior year. That is you should have dropped Calculus so you could have another study hall and a radio show. Seriously, when was the last time you used physics versus the last time you really wanted to know the lyrics to "Take On Me"? NERD!

11:33 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- How could I forget the sweet nectar of the Gods? Just for that I am doing 7 shots of SoCo and lime as punishment.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we need to do something about your cherry?

11:02 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

My word Cherry Ride! Do you think you could help me out (not you personally, but there may be some other options)? I may not need the help, especially after that unfortunate bike riding accident . . .

2:00 AM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

it is difficult to make fun of someone who is very similar to myself because 'take on me' is on my top ten favorite song list and i used to eat red jello in hs like it was my job. damn you frenemy.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home