Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Here's Where the Strings Come In

* And no, I didn't block comments for fear that the gongster would have a field day. Blogger was all bojangled. Thanks kadonkadonk for the heads up!

My Grandma used to give me a few bucks to go down to the corner store and buy her a pack of smokes. Why the cashier thought it was completely normal for a six year old to buy cigs is beyond me. All I knew was that by running the errand I would be guaranteed glorious candy as a reward.

And, it was just any type of candy, it was the best kind of candy around, nickel candy from huge plastic tubs. Flying Saucers, Swedish Fish, jelly coins, wax soda bottles with diabetes inducing liquid inside (which I just realized today were called Nik-L-Nip, man, that is durrrty, but I believe it is completely acceptable to dress up as the set for Halloween), Bit-O-Honey, and candy dots (and yes, I would eat the paper they came on in addition to the sugar nips).

So, I would walk back to my grandparent's house, brown kraft bag in tow, with a pack of smokes rolled into my sleeve, (okay, that's not really accurate, but how cool would I have looked?) in my hand me down clothes from my brother. I realize now that I looked ultra cool back in the day in boy clothes, but at the time I cried at Sears for fear that I would have to wear Toughskins.


Look at these ads! Holy crap. Look how happy they are in their Toughskins! Look how dapper they look in their leisure suits. I want to dress like that now and want to get to know better the adult counterpart of either tot in ad #2.

Upon my arrival, my Grandma would make me Maruchan Chicken Ramen/Heaven and I would watch the mini hour glass timer count away the minutes until I would have one of the most delicious meals in memory.

6 Comments:

Blogger 5 of 9er said...

I love that Superchunk album.... and I loved your post. It made me hungry.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Lick a' Made was my shit too. Pop Rox were good, but if you drank them with Jolt cola, you exploded. I've seen it.

7:36 PM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

I would never make fun of you for buying cigs for your Grams. I mean how could I really...?

8:10 AM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

My aversion to wearing jeans all started with the Toughskins I was forced to wear as a child.

1:48 PM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

What is the deal with you never posting. I miss your banter!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy shit, I totally ate that paper too. And sometimes (accidentally) I'd swallow the top of one of those wax Nipple Licks, or whatever they're called. I think that what I just called them is even dirtier than the real name. But anyway. I miss the days when I was little and those things were soooo damn cool. And cheap.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home