Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Viva U.S.A.!!!

For my first professional soccer, check that first soccer game ever, I seriously lucked out. Not only was it the Gold Cup Championship game at Soldier Field, but also the U.S. vs. Mexico. It could have been Canada vs. Guadeloupe and I would have been torn about whom to cheer for and there would have potentially been some pseudo-Frenchies around. I would have wanted to try out my awesome French skills and taken on my persona of Sylvie (no, she doesn’t wear a beret) and while fun and all to think about, I think reality had an extra special treat for me instead. This treat was in the form of being able to pump my fists and scream “U.S.A. U.S.A.” at the top of my lungs, almost having fifteen heart attacks during goal attempts, being so enthralled with the game that I didn’t leave my seat during the half for a churro, and participating in a wave with 60,000 people. In conjunction with all of these things happening I got to see the U.S. team win the match 2-1!

There were also huge sombreros and Mexican wrestlers. There were people who obviously put a lot of thought into their outfits for the day including the two ladies that had matching American flag material dresses fashioned from the highest quality pillow material to be found at your local craft store to the family of Mexico fans that spray painted their hair green.

Besides the people and game watching, there was also the little pinch o’ fear that I felt towards the end of the game being surrounded by a gaggle of inebriated Mexico fans. We were definitely outnumbered given the sea of green jerseys surrounding us and I am glad that we decided against the face paint and that I never found that Hawaiian shirt with a bald eagle battling the chupacabra (and yes, the bald eagle likes to wear suits and has hands).


I only ended up with a beer being thrown at me and really, how is that any different than any other day? At the end of the game, I smelled like a Saturday night, but it was a Sunday afternoon and I wasn’t even drunk! Damn you people, I would have been more pissed about the situation a) if I was drunk and b) if I didn’t want anything to ruin what I consider the ultimate highlight of the whole day, confetti cannons!! Isn’t it glorious?


Oh yeah, and even though his hair line is super receding and he takes pictures like this, Landon Donovan did score one of the goals for the U.S. and is still super smokin’.

14 Comments:

Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Awesome post. Couple things:
1. Can't believe you didn't drink.
2. Can't believe you didn't face paint.
3. "being so enthralled with the game that I didn’t leave my seat during the half for a churro" -- where the hell are your priorities??
4. Excellent Photoshopping skills.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Jenny! said...

Sounds like fun...is that dude parapalegic...with the water running down his mouth and all???

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had this picture taken, just for you:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6956678_7_2.jpg

11:27 AM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

Um... did you see that goal Benny Feilhaber scored. That might have been the sickest goal I've seen in a while.

I used to score like that all the time. Because I am awesome.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

No matter how sober I am, I always manage to get at least a little bit pissed off when someone throws beer at me.

12:36 PM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

Someone accidentally threw beer at me at a Dave Matthews concert so I threw an entire beer back at them. Then I ran away. They deserved it just like I'm sure you did. :)

12:59 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Cherry- 1)I don't know what my problem was 2)I don't know what my problem was and I have sensitive skin 3) I should be ashamed and I bet they had custard filled ones there too! 4) I'm very talented, no? I used Comic Life.

Jenny!- I guess he's attempting to be seductive, but really he's just creeping me out.

Landon- Oh thank you! I couldn't zoom in enough on your pecs with my camera.

Julie- 1)I only saw the goal on the jumbotron even though I was nine rows behing the goal. All the goals during the game were made on the opposite end, stupid soccer rules!
2) You deserved a beer being thrown at you for being at a Dave Matthews concert period.

Kadonk- Yeah, it wasn't fun, but a little bit refreshing.

2:09 PM  
Blogger I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

I'm with Cherry. Awesome, awesome post. I also have a couple of comments:

1. I can't believe you didn't drink either.
2. One of my best memories of living in Italy was attending a soccer game in Venice and drinking liters of wine and watching while a grandma and her grandson simultaneously cursed out the ref using the f-bomb.
3. Landon is married to a girl I went to high school and skiied with. She's on some hideous romcom on CBS (Bianca Kajlich.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so sweet of Lando to post a half nekid picture of himself on your blog.

I don’t mind the beer so much since I’m accustomed to spilling it on myself but I’m pretty sure I would have very much minded if we ended up with nacho cheese in our hair.

2:08 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Not Carrie- What a great memory! I bet that grandma/grandson team utilized some interesting hand motions as well!

Mo- I thought it was titillating of him.

Now why anyone would waste such valuable processed "cheese" products is beyond me. They would have been beat down fo sho!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

That young man is making sweet love to that drinking fountain.

9:22 PM  
Blogger 5 of 9er said...

You said said gaggle... that's funny. :)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Loaf said...

I'm with Dr Ken on that one, he's either doing something indecent to the fountain, or about to do an impressive technicolor yawn.

2:13 PM  
Blogger minijonb said...

Damn! I'm jealous. That match looked great on TV. Next time there's a big soccer game in Chicago I need to make the drive down there.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home