Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Jus' do sumfin random

My mind works in interesting ways. I think it makes up conversations for me so I am entertained at all times. It hones in on the most random people or phrases so I can in turn share them with anyone who will listen, which is usually just me talking to myself. It remembers a lot of details from my past that come in quite handy when I want to give myself a little chuckle. Just a few little treats that I was blessed with recently thanks to me noggin’:

1) I was listening to NPR and thought I heard that the reporter’s name was Steak Paprikash. She said her name twice and I heard the same thing. I only wish that really were her name. I would listen to all of her segments very intensely and name my first born after her. I would become so knowledgeable about all worldly issues that I would totally win on Jeopardy, Press Your Luck, 10 Million Dollar Pyramid, and Beauty and the Geek.

2) While stopping by the local CVS Pharmacy for my daily supply of peanut M&M’s, the homeless newspaper vendor was singing the Andrea True Connection’s “More More More”, which is absolutely one of my favorite disco tunes. He kept repeating, “More more more, how do you like it, how do you like it?” I still didn’t buy the paper from him, but damn did I think his rendition was super swell.

3) I remembered that I still have my Conair Geometricks curling irons at my parent’s house. For those of you who weren’t that into styling your hair in what you thought to be in fashion during the 80s and early 90s, Geometricks were an adolescent girl’s crazy big hair dream come true. The curling irons had changeable tips that could iron your hair into spirals, zig zags, triangles, or everyone’s favorite, crimped. I even remember the jingle, “Smart girls know all the angles! They know five heads are better than one!”

These styling tools will come in quite handy for the 80s themed roller skating party I am in the
process of organizing. No admittance without a geometricks or Flock of Seagull’s hairdo. I may let it slide if you dress and sing like Rick Astley or Samantha Fox.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly I’ve never been able to get my hair to crimp. I tried time and time again at every sleepover party to no avail. I’m pretty sure I purchased (or really my mom purchased) a few different crimpers in the hopes that a different brand would do the trick but none of them worked. I think in retrospect my hair knew better than I did and was just protecting me from embarrassing pictures. Unfortunately, I outwitted my hair and convinced my mom that I needed a spiral perm, bangs included. Good thing my hair once again took control and became curly on its own.

So all this is to say I won’t be able to gain admittance with crimped hair but thankfully I already have a bunch of Rick Astley ditties downloaded. I will start practicing now. Can I come dressed like Samantha Fox but sing like Rick Astley?

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. Now that you've reminded me of it, I've got "More More More" stuck in my head!!

Being a guy of the 80's, I skipped the crimped hair, and could only wish for a Flock of Seagulls, but did sport the day glow socks, flecked trousers and a pink cardigan for those 'special occasions'. Thankfully, that was also the time when photography was not so popular.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Mo, You go as Samantha Fox on roller skates and I'll go as Rick Astley on roller skates. You'll be the belle of the ball, and I'll be the tool shed with dyed red hair singing, "Never gonna' give, never gonna' give!"

2. That girl on the "More, More, More" record had nice bottom-hogan.

3. I have to agree that Classy has a SICK memory for the random. She brought up Freaky Freezies the other day. You know, the gloves where He-Man and the like would appear when it got cold. He didn't make me any warmer physically, but he comforted me emotionally, like he was wrapping me up in his great, big arms . . .

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mind is always reminding me a crazy stuff from the past too... but I think the reality is, when this stuff pops into my head I end up talking to myself in public. Yes, I am slowly going crazy.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so there for the 80s roller party. I think Richard can actually sing exactly like Rick Astley (Or at least in my mind he can).

If we come, can you bring the curling iron so we can tr to crimp my hair?

12:10 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Mo: Boy, I hate people that are long winded! Just get to the point okay? You were an outcast because you could not crimp your hair. That is why you look so sad in your school pics, especially the one when you were wearing lederhosen. But, you will still be allowed admittance to the party. Start shredding your jeans & jean jacket now.

So, I took the plunge into blogger betaland, so hopefully you beta commenters will have your profile's displayed in the future!

Anon #1 aka Matt/Loaf: There could be worse songs stuck in your head, like any Samantha Fox song. I am very sad that there is no documentation of that outfit you describe. And by 'special occassions' do you mean sitting in your room alone listening to OMD?

Anon #2 aka NAME: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater: I was hoping you took the bait. Now, I will have a party filled with impersonators of my dreamboat Ricky. If you can roller skate backwards my fantasy will be complete.

Anon #3 aka 5 of 9er: Nice to have you in the crazy club. What a delightful decline it is, no?

Anon #4 aka The [Cherry] Ride: IF you come? There is no IF! Given your last haircut I think the crimping success chances are HIGHLY likely.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Loaf said...

Welcome to the dark side of the beta!

Those 'Special Occasions' were usually the secondary school disco's, where we'd all be bobbing along to OMD.

But I'll hear no knocking of Sam Fox; who can forget such classics as Touch Me. (and if you want to relive that 80's moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7I8szWfqiA)

3:37 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Matt- Oh, don't get me wrong, I am fan of Sammy. Who isn't? She gives all no talent hotties hope for a bright future and paved the way for Carmen Electra & Pamela Anderson.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home