Monday, July 09, 2007

IndianUH-HUH

I experienced the Indiana Dunes for the first time of my life. Really, this doesn’t make much sense given that I pretty much grew up and lived an hour away from them for most of my illustrious existence. Childhood vacationing was reserved for the state of Wisconsin.

While I appreciate all that the Wisconsin Dells has offer, especially the Ducks (I see a hawk in that rock formation! We are in a car that magically transforms into a boat!) and Xanadu (RIP) the foam house that I never actually got to visit. As we drove by it, I looked at it longingly just wanting to touch it and maybe roller skate inside it, which honestly, I don’t think would be allowed given that foam is malleable and disco skating figure eights would compromise the home’s integrity. There were other spectacular highlights as well, like the wooden smoke shop Indian and that house where everything is on a slant and the water runs crooked, but it’s really straight.

Seriously, I love the Dells and want to go back there as one day, maybe on my honeymoon with James Franco.

So, Indiana Dunes! Beautiful, uncrowded, and bright. I ran up and down the sand dunes like a little girl and through switch grass which made some nice lashing marks up and down my legs that have yet to heal. Oh yes, and the Dunes are full of Eastern Europeans (EE’s)! Not just any Eastern Europeans, but young portly men wearing speedos! Mauve speedos. I was a bit frightened but not enough to not stare and approach them with awe and wonder.

Okay, so I needed some keg cups for my brews and didn’t have the foresight to bring them with me to the beach, I noticed that the EEs were amply prepared for some serious good times with a huge inflatable boat (which they almost capsized, heehee), a beach tent, an arsenal of coolers, and the coveted red Solo cups. I approached, and after an awkward exchange of pleasantries and extreme focus on my part to avoid any unnecessary man “candy” clouding my field of vision, the cups were in my possession.

I then discovered that Steely Dan’s “Aja” is great beach music and was ready to experience beach chillin’. Super genius that I am I spent almost five hours of peak sun time without wearing sunblock. I now look like Fruit Stripe gum and I have the pleasure of experiencing my boobs peeling (not my entire boobs, just the part I let the general public see for free)! Overall, the Dunes (with the exception of injury, but then again that is a general rule with me) receive an endorsement for their beauty and people watching opportunities, but I’m still planning that honeymoon* with Jimmy at the Dells. *Yes, you are all invited, we'll take some oldey timey sephia toned photos together in a Model T, AWOOGAH!

16 Comments:

Blogger ReckenRoll said...

Better the boobs then the hairline.

Hairline always looks like danderuff and you have to explain all the time to people that it's really peeling from the sun and not danderuff and that really you don't have a danderuff problem but people don't really want to hear that they just want to judge and from that point things can just get awkward.

I mean, that's what I've heard.

4:37 AM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

I used to watch Xanadu all the time with my dad. That is probably why I am such a sick roller skater.

8:51 AM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

I see a "skate off" between you, Classy, and your frenemy Julie when she comes to visit Chicago.

I have never been to either the Indiana Dunes OR Wisconsin Dells. Promise me you'll take me to one of them!

9:53 AM  
Blogger 5 of 9er said...

I want to go to both the Dunes and the Dells... so much to do. I am just blow away that there are cool places in Indiana... crazy.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Loaf said...

Sounds awesome, I guess that's a another for the list of places to visit!

I wanted to make some reference to making sure you keep your boobs well moisturised to help with the peeling, but just can't find a good way to do it without sounding sleasy :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny! said...

Don't knock speedos...I love the things...the way it enhances a package...magnificent!

3:43 PM  
Blogger minijonb said...

there's awesome dune action all up and down the Indiana/Michigan side of Lake Michigan. keep headin north and you'll see even more amazing stuff.

1:16 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Recken- Maybe I should use Selsun Blue on my ladies. Tingly.

Julie- I kind of think you look like Olivia Newton John during the "Physical" period.

Cherry- Well if Julie ever gets over her fear of losing maybe she'll visit one day. Instead, she chooses to watch little Asian boys pee in bottles.

And, yes, I promise to take you with me!

5of9er- You are invited too.

Loaf- It's hard for you NOT to sound sleazy! ;)

Jenny!- I wanted nothing to do with their "magnificence", but maybe they work their magic on the right person (ahem, James Franco).

Minijonb- I miss the Damon pic, oh well! Going up the Lake Michigan Coastline is definitely a future to do.

2:49 PM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

So you mean I look awesome then. Thanks.

The only better than watching little Asian boys peeing in bottles would be beating you. At everything. Including life. But I'm already doing that.

10:38 AM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Julie- I already thought that your view of reality was skewed, but now I have confirmation.

1:05 PM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

skewed. ha!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

You mean you didn't go to The Dunes for prom?

Also, any night you want to rent Xanadu, I'm down. Cherry and Niner, you in too? I've always been curious what a sci-fi, roller-derby epic is all about.

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xanadu rocks! Anything to see Olivia Newton-John in tights, shakin' her groove thang on roller skates! (although, from what I remember, she did more singing that dancing)

9:22 PM  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

Julie- You just laugh because it is true.

Dr. Ken- I actually went to Lake Geneva for prom with the oldest date in the history of DGS.

Xanadu movie night it is. All attendees must wear metallic spandex.

Pappdaddy- You are invited to movie night too. You can feather my hair for me!

1:50 PM  
Blogger JulieGong said...

16 days. you kill me classy. kill me.

8:33 AM  
Blogger carolyn says said...

so there really IS more than corn in Indiana.

the Sleeping Bear Dunes up in northern Michigan are pretty awesome too. Jeff Daniels even narrated an animated special about them on the TV. top that Indiana

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home